Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Things I've Learned Rearching Sisterlocks

Like many others, it was with great anticipation that I awaited my Sisterlocks install. I think I've read 3/4 of the blogs about Sisterlocks available.  I did this partly because I wanted as much information as I could gather, but mostly because I just liked looking at the pictures.  I did run across good information, tips, and advise.  Here are some things that I learned, and a few things that I wish I had known.

The Initial Consultation:
1. Research your consultant. Make sure that person really is or has been certified or trained as a Sisterlocks consultant.  I have seen several people on the web who were told " yea, I do Sisterlocks".  They ended up very unhappy. Don't be afraid to select a different consultant than the first one you interview. I interviewed two prior to selecting my consultant.

2. It is traditional Sisterlocks practice that consultants do not charge for the consultation.  However, some consultants feel like you should pay for their time and charge a small fee $15-$25  for the consultation.  I am comfortable with either option.

3.  The test locks are important.  Don't skip that step if possible. You'll find out if you're tender-headed or how gentle the consultant is. You will get a little taste of what the initial stage may look like.

4.  You should come away with a general estimate on how much time and money it will cost for your install.

5.  Pay attention to the setting. You may be spending a good deal of time with the consultant.  Is the office clean? Is the chair comfortable....you may be sitting in it for 21 hours!

6.  Is the consultant child friendly?  Some consultants don't want even older children coming to retightening appointments.

7.  Come when you can see their work if possible (an install or a retightening).  Ask to see pictures of their work.

8.  Join the Lockitup yahoo group.  The people there have lots of experience with Sisterlocks and are willing to answer questions.

9.  Find someone with Sisterlocks and talk to them in person.  It's one thing to look at pictures on the internet, but another thing to see "real" locks. 

10.  You need three inches of hair total. However, only two inches have to be natural. The other inch can be relaxed.

No comments:

Post a Comment