Sunday, October 4, 2009


My Sisterlocks installation began yesterday and was completed today (Oct 3-4, 2009).  It took a total of 21 hours over two days. I have 545 locks.  My consultant, Kenya Austin, and I agreed to gradually increase the size of the locks. The locks in front (ear forward) are small. The locks in the back gradually increase in size from small, to mediums, to medium large.  I did not "decide" the size of my locks.  I showed Kenya what I liked, but told her to pick what would be best for my hair. I started with two inches of natural hair (non relaxed hair).  My ends still have the relaxer, so she used the Reverse 4 pattern, which is the tightest.  My hair is fine, but I have a lot of it (it's dense).    I chose to transition to Sisterlocks without going really short, for my husband's benefit. I have been short and natural before, but he liked that I was able to keep my hair longer.  I also wanted a style to my locks, therefore, I chose a haircut that I thought might look good while the relaxer grows out.  Here are the pictures:

Relaxed hair before the cut

Relaxed hair after the cut




  1. Pretty! Best of luck to you on your journey :o)

  2. Congrats on taking the plunge! I just celebrated my one month anniversary and am loving every minute. Your locks look great! I look forward to watching your progress! Peace.