Thursday, September 23, 2010

To Cut or Not to Cut.........That is the Question

      Since it's been a couple of months since I last updated the blog, I thought I would post some recent pictures in response to a request for an update from a friend. These pictures are a little different since my hair is in need of a retightening.  My curls have also fallen out, but I still have a little body.   I also have a question of my own, as you might have guessed from the title of this post.
       In two weeks, it will be my first year lock anniversary.  It may be hard to tell, but my hair has grown quite a bit.I have continued to cut my hair to maintain my style, and because I want to cut off as much of the relaxer as possible. I do not treat my relaxed ends differently than the locked ends, so my hair routine remains simple. So what's the problem?  From what I understand, the relaxed ends slows down the locking process, because cutting the relaxer off opens the ends.  The ends will then need to form another bud to reseal. I'm not sure how big a deal this is. However, I have noticed that the relaxer has a tendency to "draw-up"  in the ends and create bunching. Some of my bunched ends are fairly large (an inch long or more), and I'm debating cutting them off to let them rebud.

Of course,  I am "SOOOOOO" tempted to just cut off all the relaxer (often called the Big Chop).  I actually have gone "under" the style and cut a lot of the relaxer that isn't needed to maintain the cut (as you can see in the following picture).  
  So what do you think? To cut or not to cut? Big Chop or just cut the big buds?

8 comments:

  1. Thanks for following my blog and I am following you back.

    your locks are gorgeous!! I didn't have relaxed ends and I have bunched ends as well. My hair is fine loose curl. It's almost 3 years for me and the majority of my locks are still open.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I say cut them, do the big chop. I always tell people this because seriously, there's really no point in keeping the permed ends just for the sake of length or the sake of just keeping them there. It's just too much drama and unnecessary baggage for what its worth. Once it's done, it's done, and you'll be wondering why it took so long to come to that decision lol. Natural hair should make your life easier, not harder.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with NESSassary, you should cut the relaxed ends, your natural hair is looks so vibrant, like its ready to flourish on its own! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am having the exact same problem! My one year anniversary was last week and I'm also debating the big chop. I wanted to keep my permed ends until my sisterlocks were long enough for a small ponytail. But these crazy permed ends keep bunching and look so thin. Please let us know what you decide to do and vice versa!

    www.mochac.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. First of all you are super cute!!! I think it looks beautiful. Why do the big chop? In Christ Irini(keri)

    ReplyDelete
  6. In a way, I miss that I didn't do a complete big chop and grow my hair out until it was long enough for SL. I've done the big chop before, but I knew it would be easier for my husband (who wasn't in favor of SL) if I transitioned without going real short again. However, part of me likes the "funky" short locks, and I think my husband would be O.K. with it now. Here's what I think mine would look like (a little)....
    http://thelionessandhermane.blogspot.com
    My curl pattern isn't real tight in the front, so I still might end up with large balls if I reopen the ends. The main thing is I don't like the large bunched balls in the back where most of the relaxer is gone.

    -Dominica

    ReplyDelete
  7. My consultant has recently told me to pull the end of my lock (or stretch) after washing, to minimize bunching.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for all the input ladies. I decided to do the big chop. I liked the relaxer, but my goal was to get rid of it and the timing was right.

    ReplyDelete