Thursday, September 17, 2009

My Hair Story

       In 2000 I had my first daughter. She was every bit as precious and full of life as anything I could have imagined.  When we would go to playgroups, she would climb behind the moms and play in their hair. She loved hair.  In particular, she loved straight hair.  I have heard many women with naturally curly hair long for straight hair and, I have watched many women with straight hair pay large sums of money for curly hair. I knew the time would come when my daughter would want straight hair like everyone else around her. How could I blame her? With a relaxer, even I had straight hair.
      I started considering the possibility of cutting the relaxer out of my hair and going natural.  There was a slight problem. I had worn a relaxer since I was nine years old. I didn't even remember what my natural hair looked like. Once I considered going natural, I started spotting black women with natural hair frequently.  My own hairdresser wore her hair naturally.  She kept it pulled up in a little ponytail puff. I thought the women with their short spiky curls looked sassy.  I was ready for my curls.  I let my relaxer grow out until I couldn't stand it anymore, then I had it cut off.  I didn't get my curls. I got frizz.   My hair had a wave pattern from the ears forward and curls in the back.
     I didn't like this new look. My face and neck are long, and I was accustomed to long hair. However, I did like the maintenance.  I never realized how much my hair controlled my decision making. I suddenly felt free to exercise, to swim, to play in the rain. I knew I didn't want to go back to a relaxer.  I continued to let my hair grow until I could put it up in a ponytail. It wasn't nearly as cute on me as it was on my hairdresser. She had very thin hair.   My hair is very thick.  It did not look sleek or stylish.  Yet, a ponytail was the only thing I could do with it. My hair was to big to wear down.  Mostly, I missed the versatility of straight hair. After my second daughter was born, I decided to return to relaxers.
    I have worn a relaxer for the past six years, and have become increasingly disenchanted with it.  I guess I'm picky, but I wanted it all. I wanted the versatility of a relaxer and the convenience of natural hair.  In April, I found Sisterlocks, and I think I've found what I've been looking for. I have been growing my relaxer out ever since.  Tomorrow I will have most of it cut out of my hair.  In a couple of weeks I will have my initial install of Sisterlocks. Here is my "before" picture:

1 comment:

  1. Your hair was so long and it looked pretty healthy. You are very brave for cutting it off.

    ReplyDelete